WHAT: An exciting exhibition of affordable original prints, drawings, paintings and mixed media works by a selection of extraordinary black artists. WHO: The approximately 40 artists whose artwork will be shown include, among others: From the 1970s to the 1990s: Eli Kobeli, David Koloane, Frank Ledimo, Dumisani Mabaso, Osiah Masekoameng, Jones Mathebula, Jacob Molefe, Thabo Mothudi, Godrey Ndaba, Hugh Nolutshungu, Winston Saoli, and Peter Sibeko. From the 21st century: Phumzile Buthelezi, Mbali Dlamini, Charles Kholobeng, Hloniphile Khuzwayo, Leshoka Legate, Chepape Makgato, Abe Mathabe, Nelson Makamo, Ramarutha Makoba, Mfundo Mkhize, Charles Morwape, Elliot Mthimkhulu, Nathi Ndlandla, Lucas Nkgweng, Bambo Sibiya, Pontso Sikhosana, John Taouss, Motsamai Thabane, Molefe Thwala, and others. The artists use various mediums including printmaking (etching, linocut, screen printing, monotype, etc.), painting with oils and watercolours, drawing with charcoal and pastels, or creating images with collage, embroidery and embossing. The artworks will be priced between R750 and R15 000, with the majority available for under R5 000. WHERE: Upstairs@Bamboo 53 Rustenburg Rd Melville WHEN: 25th March to 3rd April Opening reception: Saturday, 26 March 2011, at 2:00pm
- Pick of the Week: Exploring Jozi with Joburg Places
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Besides having one of the best climates in the world, Jozi has much to offer …
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank