Park Station then and now:
Johannesburg’s first railway station , commissioned by the Zuid Afrikaansche Republiek and designed by the Dutch architect Jacob Klinkhamer, was manufactured in Rotterdam in 1895. It was brought out to the Transvaal and was re-erected at Park Halt (as Park Station was known at the time) between 1896 and 1897. Park Station was officially renamed the Johannesburg Station in 1913 but is still often referred to as Park Station. A new station building was constructed in 1930 with Gordon Leith as the architect. Post-war, a major new revamp of the station precinct began with new buildings designed by Kallenbach’s old firm: Kennedy, Furner, Irvine-Smith and Joubert. The development took over nearly 2 decades to complete (1948- 1965). It seems that it was in 1952 that the old Park station was dismantled and rebuilt in Esselen Park in Pretoria as a training centre. It was moved back to the Transnet site in Newtown in the early 2000s and although there were plans for it to house a railway museum, sadly nothing has transpired.