The old Turbine Hall in Newtown, previously derelict and dangerous, has undergone a remarkable succesful adaptation, to become Anglo Gold Ashanti’s headquarters. There are some spectacular architectural details inside ,with motifs from the old industrial building being picked up and repeated with an aesthetic elegance and power which is extraordinary. Accolades to Anglo Gold Ashanti for preserving in a sustainable way, this historic industrial space for Jozi. Oh that there could be more of this kind of responsible and responsive urban renewal and development in Jozi.
- Pick of the Week: Exploring Jozi with Joburg Places
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Besides having one of the best climates in the world, Jozi has much to offer …
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank