The New York Met Opera live in HD is back for the 5th season and showing at Cinema Nouveau in the Rosebank Mall (under 10 minutes from Liz at Lancaster Guesthouse).
Donizetti’s Anna Bolena, starring Anna Netrebko and directed by David McVicar started showing on 4 Nov. Although the notification indicates that screenings are for one week only, this production is on for a further week at Cinema Nouveau in Rosebank. Check Cinema Nouveau’s website for screening times as they are on at odd times during the week.
Mozart’s Don Giovanni opens on 18 Nov and a week later (25th Nov) will see the screening of Siegfried , the third of Wagner’s four operas that constitute Der Ring.
Philip Glass’ Satyagraha shows from 9th Dec with Rodelinda composed by Handel from 23 Dec. Faust by Gounod starts on 6th Jan. From 10th Feb the world premiere production of The Enchanted Island will be screened. Devised & written by Jeremy Sams, it draws on the musical pastiches and masques of the 18th century and includes arias and ensembles by Handel, Vivaldi, Rameau and other Baroque composers. On 2 March the screening for Wagner’s Götterdämmerung startts. From 16th March Verdi’s Ernani (which returns to the Met for the first time since 1985) will be screened. Massonet’s Manon will be screened from 27 April and the season ends with Verdi’s La Traviata starting on the 4th May
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank
- Strains of Scotland the Brave grace the suburb of Craighall Park
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week: The Jan Smuts Art strip