In the new year I am going to ensure that I make a visit to the Brenthurst Gardens. Guests staying here at Liz at Lancaster joined a tour and were completely enthralled. Brenthurst, built in 1906 and the home of the Oppenheimer family since 1922, is the only one the Randlords mansions on the Parktown Ridge that has survived with its setting intact. Set behind just below the M1 Highway, the property (accessed through Federation Rd off Oxford Rd) stretches for 45 acres from Federation Rd to the south-west border of Killarney. Tended by 45 gardeners, the gardens includes a rose garden, indigenous planting and a Japanese garden designed by a Japanese team who come out from Japan at least twice a year. Several amazing scultpures are set in this extraordinary oasis literally metres away from the frenetic M1 Highway. There are tours everyday starting at 10 am by appointment only. All proceeds go to charity. Phone 011 646 4122 www.brenthurstgardens.co.za
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank
- Strains of Scotland the Brave grace the suburb of Craighall Park
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week: The Jan Smuts Art strip