Praised for being accessible and criticized for being too superficial, Ricky Burnett’s show has certainly generated feet through the door of the Everard Read gallery. I like what he says about the over-intellectualization of the visual image: “If you need to read four books to get to an exhibition, someone has their value system back to front. You should get to the exhibition and want to read four books.” For more on this show see Lisa Van wyks piece in the Mail and Guardian http://mg.co.za/article/2011-10-06-curating-101-bringing-magic-to-a-room
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank
- Strains of Scotland the Brave grace the suburb of Craighall Park
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week: The Jan Smuts Art strip