Novelist and author of The Madams Zukis wa Wanner, artist Mary Sibande whose excellent exhibition Long Live the Dead Queen showed in July at Gallery Momo in Parktown North, and academic Shireen Ally who wrote Servants to Workers, comment on each others work tonight at the Women’s Jail at Constitution Hill. Hosted by Wits University, it will be an evening of conversation across fiction, art and non-fiction on the poetics and politics of paid domestic work. Jacklyn Cock, Wits Sociology Professor, and author of Maids and Madams will make some comments in closing off the evening. For more on Mary Sibande’s fascinating work see http://www.jhblive.com/live/kultcha_view.jsp?kultcha_id=18143
- Pick of the Week: Exploring Jozi with Joburg Places
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Besides having one of the best climates in the world, Jozi has much to offer …
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank