The Drum Magazine was founded by Jim Bailey in 1951 beginning a unique journalistic record. Besides the diverse content of this “Lifestyle Magazine” for black people it was the cover design that made the magazine unique. Photography was an important component of the DRUM Magazine and its success. Considering the development of the cover designs over the years, one learns not only about the changes in society, in fashion and about the style of the certain period, but one is also able to retrace the change in graphic design, layout, and application of form and colour in a very impressive way. Until 30 January 2011;
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank
- Strains of Scotland the Brave grace the suburb of Craighall Park
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week: The Jan Smuts Art strip