Am so excited … I won a prize! Adrian of Fifty Two (weekly suggestions of things to to in Jozi) asked for readers’ suggestions of what to do in the genre A.C.L. (Arts Culture Leisure). My suggestion of the Nirox Sculpture Park won me second prize: the mad crazy 52 minute doccie on Joburg by Adi Loveland. Called ‘Unhinged: Surviving Joburg’, it’s whacky, quirky, frenetic, very funny and hard-hitting. Making use of lots of fast speed filming, fragmented images, jerky transitions between frames, uncomfortable and close-up camera angles, hand held camers, the medium is the message: Jozi as fast paced, constantly changing and on the move, uneasy, edgy yet vibrant, energized and happening. It’s really worth getting so beg your local Musica or Look ‘n Listen to stock it. Or log onto www.survivingjoburg.com. It’ll set you back R50 plus postage. For more info and an interview with Adi see
- Pick of the Week: Screening of Kentridge’s NY Met production of The Nose at Cinema Nouveau
- Will this revival of Newtown be the one that works?
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week 25th Nov: Piece in the Firs, Rosebank
- Strains of Scotland the Brave grace the suburb of Craighall Park
- Liz at Lancaster’s Pick of the Week: The Jan Smuts Art strip